Thursday, February 19, 2009

How to keep 30 3-13year olds in line...

When we returned to Iquitos after Christmas vacation and infield, I was itching to get back to work, take on new responsibilities, and get some real challenges. After asking one of the leaders in if there was anything we can help with, we were told that, sure, we can plan a six week program for the youngest kids that meet every morning from 9-12. I guess you should be careful what you wish for. :)

Since the majority of the kids at La Restinga are adolescents, it didn’t seem like too difficult of a task at first. Yet when we got started, it turned out to be quite the challenge. We went from having 3-5 regular kids everyday to a high of 30 kids a few days later! Though technically only 8-13 year olds should enter the group, many of the kids aren’t allowed to leave the house unless they bring their younger siblings... leaving us with an age span from 3-13 years old! Though Elin and I know enough Spanish to survive, keeping between 15-30 kids under control is quite a cross-cultural challenge. Especially because many of them have been raised on the street, and have barely had to follow a single rule in their lives. Thankfully, a traveling Argentinan woman has been with us this last week, which has been such a God-send. Plus, we've spent part every day at a workshop at a children's center last week, and we're hoping to develop a lasting collaboration with them.

Though the challenge was a little larger than I expected, this is exactly what I wanted. I feel exhausted and inspired and I'm looking forward too see how things go the next few weeks. And if you want to send some advice on how to establish group-rules for street kids (or some prayers!) my way, it would be greatly appreciated.. :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hei Janne,
Nå skjønner du sikkert hvorfor jeg ga opp å bli lærer og valgte journalistyrket i stedet etter praksisuka mi på en skole. Mitt råd: Skriv til klasseforstanderen din på Kopperud og be om råd!
Din mamma

Luisse said...

Hola Janne, I have been reading all of your blogs from Peru, they're amazing! I was wondering if you could help me with something, how coul I get in touch with La Restinga, as I'm hoping to volunteer some time in Peru and after reading your blog I'm hoping that this is the one I could go to. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks so much. Luisse

Janne said...

Luisse,
I'm glad to hear there's someone reading the blog! :)
You can get in touch with La Restinga by emailing them at larestinga@gmail.com. It's a fantastic place to volunteer and learn! Good luck! :)

Luisse said...

Hey thanks for replying, that's great!
Your blog is extremely motivating :) I enjoyed reading it.
One question, do you recommend I email them in Spanish or English?

Thanks once again.

Luisse

Janne said...

Luisse,
Though some of the leaders do have some knowledge of english, I would reccomend emailing them in spanish. Also, I would adress the email to Puchin, who is the leader of the center. The email address, larestinga@gmail.com is the official email that goes to all leaders, including Puchin, so you can use that one still.

Let me know if you end up going there -- I would love to read your blog too! :)

janne

Luisse said...

Thanks very much for all the help, i'd be happy to keep in touch with you if I am able to go :), I just sent the email a few minutes ago (in spanish), and I mentioned you and your blog within it I hope you don't mind :) I think they will be happy that you are inspiring other people to enquire to do similar good things. I will let you know if they reply (hopefully they do, my poor spanish hehe), have a great week Janne!

Luisse